Saturday, July 4, 2009

Installing Firefox 3.5 in Ubuntu




There are already lots of blogs out there with tutorials on how to install Firefox 3.5. But I found a lot of the to be outdated, and some that simply did not work. What I did was quite simple and it worked for me.

1. Download the current Firefox 3.5 Linux Tarbell at http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgrade.html

2. Right clicked on the download file. Then clicked Extract Here.

3. I keep the apps that I download in /home/username/apps/ so I simple dragged the extracted firefox folder into my apps file.

4. close any current firefox browser windows

5. double click the firefox file in the the firefox folder that is a shell script. A box will appear and click run in terminal.

or better yet

right click on the desktop and select create launcher and use the following in the command line
/home/username/pathtoyourfirefoxfolder/firefox/./firefox

then change the icon with one provides in firefox/icons

As far as I know there is not a .deb for the final version, just for the Release Canidate 2. But this will get you going on Firefox 3.5 / Keep checking the blog and I will add update posts when the 3.5 .deb is out.

No comments:

Post a Comment